To promote peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation; one individual, one community at a time.
OUR SISTER CITIES
These partner organizations expand the network of Southlake Sister Cities. We believe in inclusiveness that benefits all citizens and creates meaningful relationships in Southlake, the U.S. and the world.
Southlake Sister Cities coordinates and manage the sister cities program on behalf of the City of Southlake.
The mission of Sister Cities International is to promote peace through mutual respect, understanding, & cooperation – one individual, one community at a time. It is a nonprofit citizen diplomacy network that creates and strengthens partnerships between U.S. and international communities. We strive to build global cooperation at the municipal level, promote cultural understanding and stimulate economic development. Sister Cities International is a leader for local community development and volunteer action. We motivate and empower private citizens, municipal officials and business leaders to conduct long-term sister city programs. We believe that sister city programs involve two-way communication and should mutually benefit partnering communities.
- What is a Sister City relationship? – They are relationships between municipal governments developed to identify and encourage cultural and economic relations between citizens.
- How many Sister Cities does Southlake have? – The City of Southlake has entered into formal agreements recognized by Sister Cities International with two international cities.
- What is the arrangement between the City of Southlake and Southlake Sister Cities? Southlake Sister Cities is under a service agreement with the City of Southlake to manage its Sister Cities program on behalf of its citizens. The organization currently receives approximately 80% of its core budget from the City. The remainder of Sister Cities’ budget is raised through individuals, corporations, foundations and special events.
- How many volunteers help make Southlake Sister Cities successful? Annually, citizens of Southlake and surrounding cities participate as members and volunteers in programs.
- What is the main goal of Southlake Sister Cities? Mutually beneficial people-to-people exchanges. One world One Family.
- How many Sister Cities programs exist? Many cities in the U.S. has a sister cities program. You can learn more about Sister Cities International on their website.
- What is a Friendship City? Although the terms Sister City and Friendship City are often used interchangeably, a Friendship City relationship means a partnership that is more limited in scope. Friendship City relationships are mayor-to-mayor agreements that do not require City Council approval.
- How many visitors come to Southlake through the Sister Cities program? Sister Cities hosts nearly 30 visitors for programs and exchanges annually.
- Sister City members are considered citizen diplomats.
- Does Sister Cities provide financial assistance? Each student ambassador seeking financial assistance can apply for a scholarship toward an exchange trip or leadership program.
- Are scholarships available? SSC currently has two scholarships for graduating seniors.